Wednesday, August 20, 2014

One Month Baby!

Hej Hej alla! 

Today marks four weeks out on my mission! Crazy right? I have a theory that the MTC exists in some sort of strange time warp. In some ways, I look back and i think it is crazy i have already been out so long, but I also feel like I have been here forever! I am definitely starting to wonder if the world exists outside of this place. The MTC is like a little Mormon Utopian bubble that exists in a separate dimension. I dont think I have seen a non-mormon for 28 days...weird! So this week there wasn't much that happened that was out of the ordinary but we are all getting really excited to leave to Sweden soon. 12 more days! Life is good here though! We teach a lot, we learn a lot, and we hear from great speakers. We also find some time to goof off a bit too! 

Jag Klipte mig!
So in Swedish they dont have a word for haircut so when you literally translate the Swedish phrase for "I got a haircut" you just say "I cut me" or "Jag klipte mig" in Swedish.  I know that sounds weird, but it works. I was going to wait until I got to Sweden, but my teacher told me that in Sweden it costs almost 40 dollars to get a basic haircut. I have seen some pretty rough looking haircuts coming out of the barbershop here but I decided to take the risk and go under the blade of the MTC barbershop. I know that sounds like a terrible idea but it actually turned out okay. The haircut is free though, so you get what you pay for. They are pretty efficient and i think the whole haircut took 3 minutes. Not joking! I kinda felt like a sheep being sheared because they just went for it with clippers and took all of my lovely locks away. I dont look that bad though! 

Goodbyes
This week is going to be a sad week for our zone because we are having a lot of missionaries head out! We do everything as a zone, so we have become very close to everyone. This week all the Danes are heading off to Denmark! The Icies (what we call the missionaries going to Iceland) are going to be flying to Denmark with them too before they go to Iceland. Our zone is gonna be a bit empty come Monday. That is okay because we are going to be getting a bunch of new Danes next week and then we will be heading out ourselves! I think that all of my Swedes are going  to be getting travel plans this Thursday or Friday! we are getting really excited but we are also focusing harder than ever before. I think we are all realizing that we need to be ready to actually be out on the streets talking to people in Swedish! So we are trying to speak Swedish as much as we possibly can. It is going to be lame to say goodbye to all the cool people I've met here, but I know each and every one of us are going out to do awesome things. 

Sleepover
Remember that bunch of new Dutchies i talked about? Well they are all really cool!  The Swedes and the Dutchies have become really great friends. We also have a rivalry against them in soccer! It is a lot of fun. Well anyways, last night we decided to have a big sleepover to celebrate P-Day.I dont know if it is against the rules, but a bunch of Swedes and Dutchies bunched up in one room and we had a party. Well, we had about as much as a party as you can really have in the MTC. Basically we just had popcorn and Swedish fish and we sat around and talked. Eventually we realized it was 11:30 so we all freaked out because that is crazy late by missionary standards so we went to sleep. The sleep schedule here is pretty exhausting and sleep is a very precious resource so we decided to call it quits a little early. 

Some Funnies
Of course I have to include the funny stuff!

-An Elder in my district has officially finished reading the Swedish dictionary. yes, he had read every Swedish word cover to cover. All of his free time was spent reading the dictionary! I dont know how much it helped him but that is pretty impressive. I think he is still sane but I will update you on how he is doing. 
-The Dutchies had to undergo an event called "Magic Tuesday" last week. I dont want to get into the details of the situation out of respect for women and children... but the Netherlands requires a stool sample for the visa application so yes... The Dutchies pooped in cups. Gnarly right?
-Another funny Swedish mistake! So the word döpas means "to be baptized" and it is pronounced like duh-poss. Well, another word that happens to be very similar is dopas which means "to get high (on drugs)" so you have to be very careful when you are asking someone to be baptized. "Vill du dopas?" is not exactly a question you would expect a missionary to be asking!



So my week has been pretty great! I just wanted to quickly say make sure to write any missionary you know some mail! I feel so terrible when i have to tell kids they didn't get mail. Mail keeps missionaries going! So just pick up a pen and write them something! 

Thanks for reading! 

Love, Äldste Treat


No comments:

Post a Comment